Monday, May 15, 2006

Take a moment to lament...

...the passing of postage stamps.

"Have they passed?" I hear you ask, "I still use first-class stamps."

Indeed you do, as do I, but increasingly I'm finding (like today when I just popped out to the Post Office to mail a package to some friends in Canada) that our beautifully designed and colourful stamps with various face values are being replaced by boring white stickers, computer-generated and printed to the correct postage value in an unprepossessing light gray ink.

Yuk!

Where are the striking butterflies of iridescent hue? The celebrations of Britain's engineering heritage? The commemoration of Doctor Who's twenty-fifth anniversary?

One more step towards a colourless future of blighted bureaucracy and compromised culture.

No comments: