Friday, December 17, 2010

Vinyl: Crosswinds

Artist: Billy Cobham
Owned on digital media: No
Want to replace: Yes

I may have mentioned before that I've never been especially pro-active when it comes to hunting down new music. Throughout my life what I've listened to has largely been dictated by direct recommendations from friends, or indirect ones - listening to stuff they brought into the sixth form common room, or played at home when I visited.

So I'm happy to acknowledge Stephen "Henry" Hallam as the suggestee in this case, and I well remember the Occasion of First Hearing. Our old physics teacher had invited his 'A' Level class round to his house for pizza (something which, on reflection, would probably be given a "dodgy" sticker these days, but was actually perfectly innocent - especially as there were about a dozen of us). I took along my ubiquitous portable stereo, and Henry brought some vinyl, of which this was one.

For many years this was the only Billy Cobham album I owned, but for more on this aspect of my old collection you'll have to wait for the next post in this series.

3 comments:

Annie said...

You should talk to me about my Billy Cobham collection ;)

Digger said...

Ooh! Are we having a "small world" moment? Sounds like a conversation for the Christmas dinner table ;o)

Annie said...

Indeed... :)

I shall fill my portable hard drive accordingly.