Monday, March 28, 2011

Vinyl: Derek & Clive Live

Artist: Peter Cook & Dudley Moore (aka Derek & Clive)
Owned on digital media: No
Want to replace: Good question

So we arrive at "D" in our occasional journey through my old vinyl collection and happen across this oddity from 1976. My list originally had "no" in the 'want to replace' flag, but while researching what to write about it I found the track list on Wikipedia. Even that was enough to make me chuckle.

There's no getting away from the fact that I'm still singing the whole of "Jump" at any suitable opportunity (and quite a few unsuitable ones) to this day - 35 years on - and there are other tracks similarly dear to my heart that crop up in conversation from time to time, such as Squatter and the Ant.

Any description of mine concerning the actual content of this album is either totally superfluous or liable to get me in trouble with the Blogger police, so I'll leave those of you unfamiliar with Derek & Clive to your own research. Suffice to say that finally, following links from the original Wikipedia article to the second instalment in the D&C catalogue (Derek & Clive Come Again - which I never owned but listened to several times at various mates' houses), the track list made me laugh out loud. I think it's a fair bet that I will be replacing this one at some stage. It's clear that my toilet humour is still alive and well somewhere under this thin veneer of sophistication (*cough*).

No comments: