Wednesday, September 05, 2012

100TWC - Day 40: Knowing How

"I'm not sure I can figure out this assembly. Do you know how?"
"Sure."
"Great. Can you show me?"
"Show you what?"
"I thought you said you know how?"
"I do."
"So show me."
"Show you how?"
"Yeah."
"He won't be here until later."
"Who?"
"No, How."
"What?"
"No! Make your mind up. I thought you wanted me to show you How."
"I do."
"Well then, you'll have to wait until he arrives."
"Who?"
"No! How! Hu's not coming!"
"I don't know. I don't know who's coming."
"Well he isn't."
"Who?"
"Yes." 
"Who's not coming?"
"That's right."
"No! Who! Who's not coming?"
"I know. No need to keep repeating yourself. It was me told you!"
"When?"
"No, he's not coming either. What is it with you and the Chinese?"
"What?"
"Look. It's quite simple. Hu's not coming. Wen is not coming. And neither is Watt. How could he be coming? He's dead."
"How?"
"No! Watt!"
"No, I meant 'how did he die'?"
"Who?"
"Watt."
"I don't know! Google it!"
"I don't know how."
"Well I'll introduce you when he gets here."
"Who?"
"For pity's sake I already told you Hu's not coming."
"No you didn't."
"Yes. I did."
"When?"
"That's right. Wen and Hu. And Watt."
"What?"
"Yes."
"What's not coming?"
"Yes."
"WHAT?"
"Yes! Don't sound so surprised! He's been dead for centuries!"
"Who?"
"NO! WATT! Anyway, look. It doesn't matter. Here's How."
"Finally! You could have just showed me when I asked you."
"Hi How."
"Hi guys. What's going down?"
"He can't. Apparently he's dead."
"Who?"
"No, Watt."
"You guys are weird. So, where are we going?"
"Are we? When did we decide that?"
"What?"
"That we were going to Ware."
"Where?"
"Yes."
"We didn't decide."
"You just said we did."
"Who did?"
"No he didn't! He's too busy leading China!"
"What?"
"He's dead!"
"Who?"
"No, Watt."
"When?"
"No, he's leading China too. With Hu."
"Who?"
"That's right."
"Where?"
"OK. If you insist. But we'll have to get the bus."
"To where?"
"Exactly. Too far to walk."

A story of two friends, a guy called Howard (known only to one of them), the Chinese leader Hu (Jintao), the 6th Chinese Premier Wen (Jiabao), Watt (the engineer) and Ware (a town in Yorkshire). Inspired by Jim Sherman's short skit written after Hu was elected, which is enacted here. You might guess I ran out of steam after a lot less than 30 minutes this time ;0)

No comments: