Friday, May 29, 2009

Book Review: The Full Montezuma

This is less of a book review and more of a warning. I can't really review it properly as I didn't get past the fifth chapter, so I'll just say: steer clear.

Peter Moore is a humorous travel writer in the mould of Bill Bryson. Whether his other books match Bryson's I'll never know, because on the evidence of this one I don't even want to bother trying. In fact I hesitated to put the two names in the same sentence. In this book Moore sets off to travel across Mexico with his current girlfriend, whom he's only known for six weeks and to whom he constantly refers as the "girl next door" or, more often, simply "the GND."

I don't want to waste too much of my time or yours on this dreck so briefly: it's sloppily written, cliché-ridden, doesn't tell you much about the places they visit, displays an almost total lack of editing and is completely unfunny.

Moore's website makes occasional reference to his critics, assuming them to be frustrated authors. Well I'm happy to bolster his preconceptions in that one regard. Because this is yet another book that makes you think "Christ, I can write WAY better than this," and yet there his books sit, on the bookstore shelves, having managed somehow to be published, while mine continues to bounce back from agencies as if it's on elastic.

No comments: