Friday, April 23, 2010

Cleaning cars

I don't clean my car.

It's always been a kind of "grudge purchase" - or grudge activity I suppose - with me. I never saw the point of washing something that was going to get dirty again more or less immediately. It's not like a freshly-laundered shirt, where you can avoid dropping your dinner down it. At least for a day or so. Usually. No, with a car, you can't avoid the rain, the mud, the fumes, the dust and - most recently - the volcanic ash. Cars get dirty no matter how "careful" you are.

So I don't bother. Unless it's a special occasion. Like the arrival of the outlaws. Which means it might get a wash once a year, if it's lucky. I drive past one of those "best hand job in Manchester" places every day after dropping Nikki at work, but I even begrudge the six quid it would cost me for the minor detour (it's right there on the main road, so only a swerve or two will do it) to let someone else wash it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the attraction of owning and driving a gleaming polished machine. I just can't be arsed.

But I had to smile at the guy I saw pull in there this morning in his soft-top Merc. I mean, to my mind, the damn thing was ALREADY CLEAN.

1 comment:

Don said...

I'm moving more to your feelings on cleaning these things. They are more for moving us around and less than a statement than I used to think they were.
Having said that, I like the look of my 1993 Suzuki Swift better when it's clean than when it's dirty. The rust on the front fenders kind of disappears behind the gleam of the paint!