Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bloody hell #2

Appropriate, perhaps, to be talking about blood on Halloween weekend, but in this case it's real blood rather than fake blood, and the lack of it rather than the gory surfeit so popular with many of the costumes you might be thinking of putting on at some stage.

I had a text yesterday from the Blood Donor service warning that stocks were low and asking for my help. So I popped along to their website (because I'm one of those shy retiring types who prefers to do things by typing and reading rather than talking to a real person on the phone) to see what was afoot.

As it happened I ended up calling them anyway because I had to register to use the site and their security procedures meant I had to wait to receive my login details through the post before I could do anything useful online, but that's not the point of this post.

No, the point is the headline text that greets you when you visit the blood web site:

96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood.

What? Are they serious? Don't get me wrong I'm very proud to be part of that 4% but, really? Every single scheduled and emergency operation throughout the UK relies on just FOUR percent of the population for its blood? Crikey. Come on you lot, get off your arses and get on your backs and get donating! Wimps.

No comments: