Saturday, February 05, 2011

Vinyl: Magic

Artist: Billy Cobham
Owned on digital media: No Yes
Want to replace: Yes

I mentioned last time that Crosswinds was for a long time the only Cobham in my collection. Eventually I added Magic, but it wasn't until I researched that previous post in my vinyl series that I realised how prolific an artist Billy Cobham is. The man whose Wikipedia entry quotes another artist saying he is "generally acclaimed as fusion's greatest drummer with an influential style that combines explosive power and exacting precision" is SO prolific that his discography warrants a Wikipedia page all to itself, running to 42 sections - one for his solo albums (of which there are 44!) and another section for each of the artists with whom he collaborated between 1968 and 1998. Wow.

The second surprise arising from my last Cobham post was that someone I've known for 11 years is also a fan, and in all that time our mutual fandom has never come up in conversation. Her collection is more extensive than mine (although still barely scratching the surface of Cobham's output) so as a result I am now the proud holder of a digital copy of Magic and that's another one crossed off my list. Thanks Annie!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Pleasure. :)