Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A bit of knock-off

The final final deconstruction was something else I felt competent to manage myself. I'm pretty good at demolition :o)

The skirting board and picture rails had to come off. Me and my trusty crowbar accomplished that in considerably less than half an hour (including cleaning up time). The only slight accident - and it's one that we predicted given its extremely loose attachment - was the total loss of plaster on the chimney breast beneath the picture rail. An area about 18 inches deep and already disturbed by the reconstruction work on the brickwork, it never really stood a chance once I got going with the crowbar.
With this and the section behind the old cooker now both back to the brick, we thought it prudent to call the plasterer back for another look before he gave us his final quote!

No comments: