Sunday, October 01, 2006

Is It Really That Long?

God! More than two months since my last post? I haven't really got the hang of this blogging lark yet, have I? Mind you, I did warn you I was a bit hit-and-miss with diary type things. Or if I didn't, I should have.

So what's been happening?

Well we still haven't moved yet. If I had been doing a blow-by-blow account of the house moving process you'd probably have slit your wrists by now. I nearly have. Our lovely buyers have had private finance in place since about June, so keen were they to (a) get going and (b) not lose out. So they didn't need to sell their place and have been sitting on their hands ever since. We found a new place pretty soon too. It's lovely. But then I would say that wouldn't I, since I'm buying it? At least I hope I'm buying it, but the actual buying part never seems to get any closer.

It's just one thing after another. First of all the guy who we're buying off is moving a long way away, and couldn't find anywhere. Then he found somewhere and offered the asking price only to find that they run a pyramid scheme in the area, and the asking price is the minimum they expect, so he lost out on that. Another two week delay. Then he found somewhere else. His offer was accepted! We were off! Well, no, not "off" exactly. Not exactly sure what the delay was at that point - he didn't get his fixtures and fittings list, or something. And it took him ages to arrange a survey. And then the woman couldn't let the surveyor in on the appointed day. The list of delays and the waiting and the not knowing - it just goes on and on. My good lady points out that in Canada, when you buy a place, you fix a completion date there and then. Great idea! Sure, it means that some people fix a date 90 days in the future, or 120 days, but at least you know what you're aiming for. I can't even book the removals men and I've had to put the telephone move back twice already. Sheesh.

We thought we'd be really good and get a head start with the packing, so we ordered 30 boxes off t'Interweb (I can really recommend the A1 box company - fast, efficient and cheap, with great quality product) and they're all packed already.

Packing in the dining room

This is one of the smaller piles we've been living with for three weeks now. The in-laws are coming to stay on Friday and we've packed all the spare towels.

No comments: