Tuesday, October 24, 2006

No Mail

After a full week in the house, we began to be concerned that we weren't getting much mail. We had signed up for the mail redirection service the week before we moved and knew that it took five working days to get started, but we were expecting to receive redirected mail from the middle of the first week, at the latest. We'd had nothing.

I called the number on the form and spoke to a very nice lady who had no record of our redirection at all. They didn't know we existed. All our mail was still being delivered to the old place (except for the few things we'd managed to update our address for already). I blustered that we'd paid over sixty quid for a service we weren't getting. And the redress? I'd have to fill in a new mail redirection form, send it direct to the mail redirection service centre and - get this - attach a photocopy of my receipt to prove that I'd already paid.
With all the whizz-bang electronics and computers in use in the Post Office, with the receipt I had containing not one but three separate transaction identifiers, as well as the date and post office code, the best they could do to find my payment was for me to photocopy the paper.

No comments: