Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wobble

It's bloody cold. You're all gonna start laughing now, all you Canadians and North Americans with your -40­°C's and your wind chills, but lemme tell you when you move from a nice new double-glazed well-insulated relatively small house to a large old drafty Edwardian semi with no carpets and windows that don't shut properly, then even -1°C is cold, especially on a breezy day.

We discovered something though. The lounge stays warm if we close the door. Simple, innit? But again living in a modern house, you forget traditional stuff like closing doors. Or "puttin' t'wood in th'ole" as they say round here. It's amazing the difference it makes. There's a downside though. The room gets so warm we fall asleep. I'm not joking, there's not been a single night this week we haven't both fallen asleep in front of the telly. Must be an age thing. Or maybe I'm trying to hibernate.

My mate Phil sent me a couple of links yesterday. One to the top 40 funniest pictures - I was laughing out loud right from the first one - and one to the top 40 prettiest pictures. All of those are really beautiful. I've seen quite a few of them before. They're the sort of pictures Nikki's Mum often sends, usually wrapped in a transportable Powerpoint file with some inspiring music. Oh, and here's my go at tvor's book meme that came to me via Nikki. I've had to cheat a bit (no - I didn't reach for the most intellectual book - the closest one is Perfume, cos it's right across the desk from me owing to the fact that Nikki already did it, and the next closest is the Radio Times. I didn't even know the Radio Times had 123 pages, but it does and you're right in the middle of the radio listings so I didn't think they'd be very interesting) but I've found something interesting so maybe you'll forgive me. Remember, the idea is...

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

"In medieval European folklore, the Chichelvache is the wife of Bicorne. Chichelvache takes the form of an undernourished cow who has a miserable expression on her human face. She is supposed to live on a diet of wives who were both obedient and tyrannized by their husbands."

From 'The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures - the ultimate a to z of fantastic beings from myth and magic' which we bought Natalie for her 18th birthday (and gave to her today). No wonder the cow is undernourished! Obedient wives? (*ducks*)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh i didn't realize i could comment on your blog without being a member! Someday i may find a book club. I think the local Chapters has one going but it's a lot easier if i have a car which i don't have at the moment. Something for down the road. Literally and figuratively!