Sunday, November 18, 2007

I can't believe it's not curtains

You know how it is when you put off a job you really don't want to do? I told you a month ago it was curtains and it still isn't really - they've been sitting in their packets on the study floor since we bought them, and we've each been struggling to see our screens on those sunny afternoons when the low sun streams in through the still-uncurtained windows.

Finally, I could stand it no longer and went in search of the curtain poles we took down before the replastering. We didn't really like them, we didn't want to put them back up, but we couldn't find anything we did like and regretfully decided we'd have to refit them as a temporary measure. I hated the idea of drilling our pristine new walls, especially when I knew we'd eventually find something else and in swapping them over there'd probably be filling and patch-painting to do.

I needn't have worried. Fate took a hand. My window, being double-width, had two separate poles joined in the middle with a ... um ... joint. A wooden ring into which the two ends, left and right, fitted and which was originally screwed to the central pillar between the two windows. I found the poles. I found the ring. But the fitting into which the ring slotted, and which took the screws to fit it to the pillar? Gone. How tragic.

The curtains still aren't fitted. We went and watched Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix instead. Much more agreeable.

No comments: