Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

We're having our mulled wine party early this year. On Saturday to be precise. We got caught up with the office party season last year with the result that two sets of neighbours couldn't make it. Not this time.

So we want the house to look Christmassy and even though we wouldn't normally put the tree up this early, I fetched it down from the attic this evening and assembled it. The idea is it will get decorated sometime this week, leaving us with plenty of time on Saturday for the other party preparations.

The tree, which we bought last year after we moved in having decided to abandon "real" trees for not completely environmental reasons, is a clever design where a central trunk accepts rows of branches into little plastic slots. Each row is colour coded, with a band of tape on the trunk and corresponding bands on the branches. Assembly takes quite some time, but at least having had the experience of last year, I didn't make the mistake of slotting all the branches in before spreading the twigs out. Even so, I was above half way when I realised I'd missed out an entire row of branches. Luckily the "needles" are sufficiently plentiful to mean that it's impossible to notice the gap. I couldn't have reached between the other branches to fit the missing row and I certainly wasn't going to take it back down.

So now our tree sits in the hall waiting patiently for its decorations. Well, I put the fairy on. You have to.

No comments: