Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday memes

OK it's Friday, it's traditional, and these are very late owing to my recent hiatus.

Book meme nicked from tvor (who nicked it from someone else)

Da rules:
* Grab the nearest book.
* Open the book to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal along with these instructions.
* Don't dig for your favourite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.

OK I read the rules, but the CLOSEST (sic) book is the friggin' dictionary, so I'm going with this one:
"That's all she wrote; those were the twelve lines. But beneath the workmanlike description of a button, the poem was living and breathing on its own. The button was a button, yes. But it was also the embodiment of a daughter's grief, her attempt to fill the missing space. Sewing on a button was the last chore she would ever perform for her father."

from "Word Painting - A Guide to Writing More Descriptively" by Rebecca McClanahan.

...and an OLOGY meme nicked from tvor (who again purloined it from elseone):

tell us about yourself and head the post with your name plus -OLOGY

Diggerology

*FOODOLOGY*

What is your salad dressing of choice?
Salad cream. Cos I'm cheap, unsophisticated, and from de Norf. And I like to leverage preconceptions.

What is your favourite sit-down restaurant?
I'm assuming this is some sort of North American code for a restaurant where you are served by waitpeople, rather than helping yourself, or a fast-food joint, because really, I never heard of a stand-up restaurant.
So on that basis I'd have to go with Terpsis, in Pefkos, on the lovely island of Rhodes. God, how I miss that place.

What food could you eat every day for two weeks and not get sick of?
Curry. And then I'd do another two weeks.

What are your pizza toppings of choice?
pepperoni, salami, jalapeƱos, peppers, and extra cheese.

What do you like to put on your toast?
"Mummy's" home-made marmalade. And real butter, obviously.

*TECHNOLOGY*

What is your wallpaper on your computer?
A cartoon girl holding up a big paisley-pattern heart with "I Love You" written on it in a scrolly font. Nikki made it for me :o)

How many televisions are in your house?
two

What colour mobile phone do you have?
silver

*BIOLOGY*

Are you right-handed or left-handed?
right handed

Have you ever had anything removed from your body?
quite a few teeth, one or two sebaceous cysts and a very short section of vas deferens ;o)

What is the last heavy item you lifted?
The study door. I took it downstairs to paint it, and brought it back up again.

Have you ever been knocked unconscious?
no

*BULLSHITOLOGY*

If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die?
no

If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
anything I wouldn't have to spell out every time someone needs to write it down.

Would you drink an entire bottle of hot sauce for $1,000?
no

*DUMBOLOGY*

How many pairs of flip flops do you own?
none. Seriously, do *you* know any blokes with flip-flops?

Last time you had a run-in with the cops?
The most recent time I was caught speeding by a real cop as opposed to a freakin' camera. He let me off. (The damned cameras never do that)

What do you want to be when you grow up?
dead

Last person you talked to?
my team-mates on the weekly voice conference

Last person you hugged?
Nikki. Why is this in "dumb" ology? Hugging's not dumb! *stamps feet*

*FAVOURITOLOGY*

Season?
spring

Holiday?
christmas

Day of the week?
saturday

Month?
may

*CURRENTOLOGY*

Missing someone?
yeah. Two someones.

Mood?
edgy

Listening to?
human highway, by Jim Witter And Cassandra Vasik (from the Out of the Blue movie soundtrack)

Watching?
the time tick past until the next voice conference

Worrying about?
whether i'll ever enjoy my job again

*RANDOMOLOGY*

First place you went this morning?
bathroom

What can you not wait to do?
see The Musical Box perform the original set from the Trick of the Tail tour, tonight at Manchester Apollo

What's the last movie you saw?
in the cinema: The Dark Knight.
at home: Erin Brockovich

Do you smile often?
yes

3 comments:

Gloria Horsehound said...

Gloriaology:

Salad dressing?My own. Lemon juice olive oil, garlic, sea salt
Sit Down restaurant? Massooms Indian Restaurant in Thorpe Bay
What food for two weeks? Curry
Pizza? Mozz, Peppers, Olives.
Toast? Any jam

TECH STUFF:
Wallpaper? An English cottage garden decked out with Bee Hives, Teddy Bears and Birds
Televisions? Three
Mobile Colour? Dark Red

BIOLOGY:
Left or right handed? Right
Anything removed from body?
Oh yes, two teeth, bits of muck, bones and dust from jaw joint by right ear (otherwise known as Temporo Mandibular Joint Dysfunction.) Cyst from toe joint.
Last heavy item lifted? Bookcase, from conservatory to kitchen to sitting room.
Knocked unconscious? Yep, cricket ball, went out like a light.

BULLSHITOLOGY:
Day I'm going to die? Nope, that would be too much information!
If I could change my name? For sure. Isobella Grumpy
Hot sauce for $1,000? Yes, providing I could sip spoonfuls over a ten hour period.

DUMBOLOGY:
Flip Flops? Had a pair but never wore them.
Run in with cops? After a tiff with hubby I sat fuming in the station car park and a patrolling-on-foot bobby stopped and looked into my car, he didn't say or do anything, just kept looking. I smiled weakly and drove off.
What do I want to be when I grow up? What I am now, only wiser, a bit richer, plumper and funnier.
Last person I talked to? Today. Vicar in a charity shop, he must have been 6ft 6ins and had a mess of evil black hair, he remarked on the silver plated jewellry box I bought for two quid. I mumbled and bowed and then ran out.
Last person I hugged? Hubby last night after the news.

FAVOURITOLOGY:
Season? Spring
Holiday? Christmas
Day of week?Usually Saturday but sometimes Sunday
Month? June, Wimbledon, strawberries, my birthday, summer frocks, watching tomatoes growing.

CURRENTOLOGY:
Missing Someone? No-one
Mood? Calm with a bit of sauce
Listening to? Radio Four
Watching? For eruption of spots on account of me having a day out next week.
Worrying about? Dad

RANDOMOLOGY:
First place this morning? Kitchen to feed cat
What can I not wait to do? Watch The X Factor eating chocolate
Last movies I saw? Cinema? Can't remember so long ago
At home? Crimson Tide on DVD
Do I smile often? Yes

Tvor said...

Yes, i think they mean sit-down as opposed to fast food or, in the UK, where you order your food at the bar in a pub even though they'll bring it over.

Do i know any blokes with flip flops? Not personally but i live in a city full of students and i do see them around.

Anonymous said...

Men in flip flops in this country are usually ex-gap year (when did it change from 'year out' to 'gap year' btw?) students who have spent mummy and daddy's funds to go to Thailand to 'find themselves' and come back saying 'Oh, I spent the whole time out there not wearing shoes and now I just can't abide them' and thus look:

a)stupid when it's freezing and pissing down
b) like wankers.

[I feel better for that - cheers]