Thursday, September 09, 2010

We've been carpeted

Great excitement yesterday evening as the carpet company called to say our replacement carpet had finally arrived and would it be convenient to fit it today? You bet your sweet bippy* it would.

The very personable man on the phone assured me that since we'd been waiting ages and the (replacement) order was marked as urgent, he would put us down as the first call. Which meant the fitters should arrive shortly after 9am.

At 10:45 I tried to call the shop. After the third busy tone I was in the middle of trying again when my mobile lit up with the shop name, calling with sincere apologies that the fitter had been delayed but was loading up his van RIGHT NOW and would be with me in 20 minutes. Which turned out to be, naturally, 40 minutes. But at least he was here! With a carpet!! Which was the right size!!!

But didn't have any underlay or gripper rods with it.

Chief Fitter walked into the room.
"Just going on the floor, is it?"
My initial reaction, which I managed with superhuman effort to bite back, was to say "No, it's a carpet. It's going on the fucking ceiling, where do you think?"
Then I realised what he was saying. That he was going to lay the carpet on the bare floor.
""No, there should be underlay with it."
"They've not given me any underlay. Or grippers."
""You ARE joking?"
I fetched the invoice.
""Underlay," I pointed.
He called the shop, and shortly afterwards with much muttering under his breath at the incompetence of both the shop and the previous fitter, who "if it had been me" should have at least fitted the underlay and grippers before taking the too-short carpet back, returned to the depot to pick up... underlay and grippers.

An hour later he was back, and not much more than half-an-hour after that (it always amazes me how fast professional carpet fitters work), our new room was finally, finally ready to receive furniture, and have its new curtains hung.

A task for the coming weekend. With any luck, we only have one more night on the sofa bed! Yippee!

*What exactly is a "sweet bippy"? Does anyone know?** And why would you want to place a bet with it?
**Yes, I know. Google does. Slang term for unspecified body part (probably 'ass') as used in Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. God, I never knew it was THAT old.

1 comment:

Tvor said...

yay for the carpet!
I would imagine back in the 60's you couldnt' say You Bet Your Ass it is so Rowan and/or Martin made up You Bet Your Bippy! I remember that show very well.