Tuesday, November 02, 2010

One Thing

I think I've discovered a natural law. One of those like Sod's Law, or Gunnersen's Law, or Sattinger's Law. I hesitate to name it Digger's Law, because I'm not certain it has remained undiscovered until now. But I could perhaps call it the Law of Single Omission.

It goes something like this. If there are a number of things to be done, where "things" can be any list of objects or tasks and "to be done" is the action you are performing on them, then if your concentration lapses at any point there will always be one thing left over at the end.

Thus there is always one thing left to wash up after you've let the water out of the sink. Probably sitting on the cooker behind you rather than on the draining board.

And after you've put that shopping list back in your pocket, assuming there are so few items left on it you'll be able to remember them all, you'll get home to find there's one thing left you didn't buy.

2 comments:

Tvor said...

You're right! Digger's Law! And... is there a named law about always picking the slowest queue at the grocery store? I was going to say bank but nobody goes into a bank these days and when you do, at least most of the ones here, there's one long queue and you pick the next free teller. Some shops do that too.

Don said...

Happens here too.
Pick the slowest line in the supermarket, and someone in front wants a price check. Hours later...
I do a Sunday morning shopping for things I think we need. Always, I end up missing something!
I never knew this was common until I read this post. Thanks, John.