Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Vinyl: Dire Straits

Artist: Dire Straits
Owned on digital media: Yes
Want to replace: n/a

Like pretty much anyone who was listening to music at the end of the 70s, I'd heard "Sultans of Swing" and revelled in the fresh new sound of Dire Straits, but it was some years later that I bought my first DS album, and it wasn't this one.

Only later, when the completist in me began to assemble their back catalogue, did this album find its way into my collection. With 30 years of perspective it still seems incredible that BBC chose not to play Sultans on its first release, but then they've never been particularly smart about their music choices. Well at least, not until the advent of 6music.

2 comments:

Don said...

One of my all-time favourite bands let by one of my all-time favourite musicians.

Don said...

I meant "led"