Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vinyl: Making Movies

Artist: Dire Straits
Owned on digital media: No
Want to replace: Yes

This is the one. The album that first really got me into Dire Straits. The album I remember listening to lying on the floor of a Lake District living room, cans firmly fixed to head, trying to ignore all the point-scoring shit that regularly flew around that particular bunch of in-laws. I immersed myself in the music for as long as I could. Which turned out to be until Momma In-Law burst in and ordered all the "children" (the youngest of us was, at that time, 23) out so that the "adults" could sit in comfort with their "adult" conversation.

Interesting to reflect with my traditional 30-year perspective that the behaviour that was soon to follow that event was not what anyone could pretend deserved the tag: adult.

Even with such uncomfortable associations, the music's still good :o) I've marked the "want to replace" flag as 'yes' above, but a closer look at the track list shows there's only a couple that I don't already have on various digital compilations (Alchemy, Very Best of...) so I'm not convinced it's worth it.

1 comment:

Don said...

I thought I had most of the Dire Strait stuff. Don't remember the name of that album. I think in memory, it was the name of a song. They call albums different names in different parts of the world though.
Just got back from Ontario (helped to settle my Mom into a retirement home) and found some stuff in mom's house that I used to have... an album in hi-fi called "Session, by the Dave Clark Five", and a couple of 45's - The Ides of March, "Vehicle", and the Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There" with a flip side of "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

Interesting times I grew up in.
Apparently I met Rod Stewart but didn't know who the hell he was at the time.