Thursday, February 01, 2007

Bloody IE7

I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 before Christmas. Why? Ha! I've begun to ask myself the same question. IE6 was relatively stable (or at least, it seems that way now!) but having experienced tabbed browsing in Firefox I wanted it in IE.

Fool.

I've never been one of those who "hates" Microsoft and engages in constant bashing and sniping at their products, their market strategy, their treatment of independent software companies, but at best my experience with IE7 can be described as annoyed exasperation. How a company with their resources can put out a product - a SEVENTH-GENERATION product - that hangs up completely every couple of days, is utterly beyond my comprehension. MS have been developing IE for well over ten years. They employ armies of designers, coders and testers. They use the product for years internally before letting it anywhere near the market. And yet when we eventually get our hands on it, it's shit.

Maybe it's my own fault. I don't turn my PC off. Ever. I like my Windows desktop to behave like my real-life desktop - when I get up, walk away, and then come back, everything is still where I left it. So I'm at the mercy of memory leaks and creeping death, and it looks like IE7 has both of these in spades. I also like to have a lot of tabs open at the same time. Isn't that the point? I do a lot of stuff. I blog here, and on TV Scoop, I like to have a Google tab open, some of the Entertainment sites like Digital Spy, NewsNow and MediaGuardian, and some of my friends' and family's blogs. I usually run with about 8-10 tabs up. And the crock that is IE7 stops dead every other day.

Would I like to send an error report? You bet your sweet bippy I would. It might be exactly the SAME error report as I've sent 30 times already, but I will keep sending them until they send me a fix. Roll on SP1! Or even better...maybe it's time to dust off that Linux distro?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go back to Firefox :) I only keep IE around for the occasional website that doesn't work well in FF and i refuse to upgrade to IE7! Netscape went the same way when they went up to ver. 5? 6? 7? whatever came out after 4.7 anyway. utter crap.

Anonymous said...

We offer free product support services if you have run into any issues.

Support number: 1-866-234-6020

Also, you may want to uninstall any add-ons that you do not use and upgrade to the latest versions of the ones that you do use as IE7 has enough changes that older IE6 plug-ins and extensions may not work correctly and cause instability. If you want to test this theory, you can start IE in no Add-ons mode (no flash, no anything) and see if stability improves. This will likely mean that one of your add-ins may be the cause of the problem.