Thursday, February 22, 2007

The simplicity of a structured day

My horoscope for today starts: "You long for the simplicity of a structured day now, so you can just go ahead with your work chores and do them one by one." How do they know? I mean, I don't actually believe that the position of the planets and other heavenly bodies at the moment of your birth influences your life or your character, but it's uncanny how often my horoscope is right on the money.

Is it just that if you serve up enough platitudes sooner or later you'll hit the bullseye, and we have a natural tendency to forget the wrong ones and remember only the "spooky" right ones?

Whatever the answer, there's no denying that yes, I have been longing for a simpler life. One where my work is always in the same place, and I know what the day holds before it starts. And most important, that whatever tasks I have in front of me I know I can do. I'm tired of facing up to "the challenge" of something new. Of having to find answers to problems when I don't even know what the question is.

Trouble is, I know this is just a case of the grass being greener on that other side. Give me two weeks of those structured, predictable days and I'd be climbing the walls, desperate for a change. Something else my horoscope has right is the Sagittarian need to explore beyond the boundaries of the familiar; the need for freedom; the breadth of interests and endeavours. So here I am in my paradox. I don't *really* want to spend the rest of my life in simple, structured days. It's just that every now and then I'd like to be able to take my foot off the gas.

"There's no way of knowing what 'too far' is, if no-one ever goes there."

1 comment:

Gloria Horsehound said...

A simple, excellent and heart felt post. You're a good writer.
And they are hard to find.

Do you still want to 'explore beyond the boundaries of the familiar......' If you do, want to talk with a fellow writer? I'm on Messenger. My email address is ainorris@talk21.com