Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chim chiminee, chim chiminee...

Bit of a blast from the past today: we had the chimney sweep round. We'll be fitting a living flame gas fire in the new lounge, and although we've been here 18 months and never used the grate in the dining room, we know the previous owners regularly had a fire in there, so it was certain to need doing.

Halfway through the job, the sweep - a gentleman I would put in his early sixties - called me down from the study to ask if I'd like to go out and check that the brush was sticking out of the chimney. Wow! This traditional proof that the sweep has actually done his work took me flying back to my youth, when my Mum would send me running to the end of the garden to watch for the brush popping out of the chimney pot.

I really never expected to see that again!

No comments: