Saturday, March 24, 2007

All grassed up

I never really enjoyed cutting the grass. Years ago, I would occasionally do it for my Mum. First of all with the small manual Webb mower which was damned hard work pushing, and later with a massive old electric mower driven by a 12-volt car battery that weighed a ton. Despite its weight the hard part of using that mower was hanging on to it. It went like the clappers.

It was when mowing the grass one summer when I was about 15 that I discovered I'd developed hay fever. I retired to the lounge, wheezing and coughing, with my eyes and nose streaming and my throat itching. It felt really bad at the time but it's stood me in good stead since as a ready-made excuse to avoid grass cutting for 2 months of the summer.

When I lived in Yorkshire cutting the lawn used to take at least an hour. It wasn't so much the cutting that hacked me off as how often you had to empty the grass box. And what a trek it was to the compost heap.

Now, all that is behind me. Today I picked up my cousin's spare lawnmower (thanks Trish!), brought it home, plugged it in and away we went. 15 minutes later: pristine lawn, wonderful smell of new-mown grass and I'm relaxing on the patio with a cup of tea. Suits me. I could be tempted to make this a regular Saturday thing. Until hay fever season starts at the end of May, naturally.

3 comments:

cp said...

Blimey! Look at all you accomplished in such a short period of time on your lawn - and how charming it looks! Amazing! I mean, you being an amateur mower and all, eh? Equally amazing is how nawt seems to get done by professional contractors whom I assume you're paying with your family vacation money .. for the next few years ... or the way they're going .. decade? ;-)

Digger said...

Professional contractors? We don't have any gardening contractors here cp.

cp said...

Um, I were talking about your house workers .. parallel -)construction and all that ... You in your yard, them in the house. You working for nawt, them .. ;-)