Sunday, March 25, 2007

Getting plastered

I was caught on the hop this morning by the plasterers. When I say "on the hop" I actually mean "lying in bed." Luckily Nikki was up to let them in. I wasn't the only one running behind due to the change in clocks last night: Young Mr Bathroom-Fitter was late arriving too, but he only stayed long enough to check the two plasterers had everything they needed.

If he'd been much later they wouldn't have been here to ask. I already described how arcane I find the process of plastering. What also dumbfounded me about these guys was the sheer speed of their work. I looked in after they'd been here half an hour to ask if they needed anything else. No, they were fine, and had already applied a small amount of plaster to the walls. I looked in an hour later and both the ceiling and one wall were already finished!

Bath and basin space plastered outThese two guys worked without a break and with only three cans of diet Pepsi between them for six hours and the end result has to be seen. Perfect walls on every side, except round the shower enclosure which for some reason they'd been told not to skim "because it's being tiled." Huh? I wasn't aware it was standard practice to tile right onto plasterboard, but then what do I know?

They didn't plaster the landing-side of the ex bathroom door either, so I guess they'll be coming back to do that later. The new study walls we deliberately wanted leaving, because that whole room needs replastering and we thought it best to have it all done at the same time. In the words of the song: "who knows what tomorrow brings?"

No comments: