Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Outlaws #2.1 - Welcome to the 21st century

Something I forgot to mention about the meal at the Huntsman was a lovely little vignette between Nikki's cousin Phil and his youngest daughter. She must be about 8 or 9 and we were all sat around gazing lovingly at the dessert menu when her uncle decided to order crême caramel. She turned to her Dad: "What's crême caramel?" she asked. I chipped in helpfully, confident of my expertise in putting things in terms an 8-year-old would understand: "it's like blancmange."

She looked at me quizzically. OK, it's an 8-year-old who's never had blancmange. I tried again. "It's like milk jelly." Another puzzled look. "You know, when you make jelly with milk instead of water?" No, it was no good.

Then her Dad had an idea. "It's like pannacotta," he said. Her face lit up instantly. "Oooooh pannacotta!!" she enthused, "yum."

No comments: