Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Abigail's Party


Dress rehearsal for the Players' latest production tonight, so I thought it would be fun for Paul to come along and get snap happy at the same time as I was taking "the production photos." Boy was I glad he agreed.

With new flats in use for the first time, and everyone and their auntie having been "raped" (the Director's phrase) for seventies gear, the set looked really spiffy, and the production as a whole proved to be every bit as hilarious as the BBC One original thirty years ago. Indeed, in keeping with my regular reference to that era on this blog, the reason for staging Abigail's Party was that 2008 marks the thirtieth anniversary of its seminal appearance on the telly.

Without a doubt, the funniest moment for me was when "Ange" (played by Charlotte King) got up to dance with "Lawrence" (played by James Kerr). This girl's comic timing is impeccable, and she totally inhabited the character of Ange. The start of the dance was a pant-wettingly funny moment.

After taking over 200 pix of the event, I flicked over to review some of them before leaving the hall. My camera declared "no valid picture to display." Huh? Unable to work out what was wrong Paul and I returned home, where I discovered the 200+ pictures had been replaced with a single 9MB file with an unpronouncable name, and which Windows refused to move or delete from the memory card. Some sort of corruption had occurred, resulting in the total deletion of everything I had taken. I had to reformat the card from scratch.

Hence why I was so pleased Paul had been there. If not for him, we would have had NO photo record of this cracking production. Thanks, mate! (As a bonus, two of his pix were later published in the local free rag, which gave the production a glowing review)

Only thing is, now I'm worrying when my 2GB memory card will sick up on me again :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's one hell of a set.