Sunday, April 27, 2008

I need a creative sat-nav

It's an interesting limbo I find myself in now. I've never been here before, so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like. Before I started my first novel, I had a very clear idea of the main plot points of the story. It was the only story. The one that had been bubbling around in my head for ages. Of course, it needed the application of some craft. Some technique. It needed a full synopsis, and that then needed work to heighten the dramatic tension; to provide action and reaction; tension and release, or whatever you call them. It needed characters fleshing out, interactions designing and all the usual stuff (which, for the avoidance of doubt, was nothing like "the usual stuff" to me back then, because I had no idea. I learned as I went along).

So there was a path, with some clear milestones, and above all there was a destination.

It's been an 8-year process to get here. On the way, I've had other ideas and, as per good practice, I've kept a note of them all in my log lines folder. In a way, then, I'm much better off than I was in 2000. I have eight years worth of learning and practice under my belt, a much clearer idea of the fictional narrative, character development, and all that good stuff. And I have at least a dozen ideas where before there was only one.

And there, Horatio, lies the rub.

Which one to choose? Which is the best one? Another technological thriller; or a science fantasy; or a character-driven, feel-good meander through the lives of a handful of characters we haven't met yet but would recognise in an instant? Or should I spend a while dreaming up a totally different idea? This is tough! I need more tea...

4 comments:

Tvor said...

well my favourite kind of book would be the character driven meander. Having said that, i've just started one about a serial killer, a psychological thriller i guess you might call it. Not my usual but ok for a change of pace.

Digger said...

My problem with that (and you're the second one to lean towards it) is although I think I could probably make a fair job of it, I don't want to make a career of writing books of that type. But there again, getting *anything* published would be an achievement, so should I worry? The enjoyment of it is the thing, rather than the end result. Which doesn't help, cos I'm not even sure I'd enjoy writing it. LOL

Tvor said...

You have to enjoy what you're writing, though. The characters have to "speak" to you. I don't think i could do it, though. I have no idea how to take a plot from start to finish without going off subject and off on tangents all over the place and as far as developing characters, i think mine would probably end up being all one dimensional and rather vapid lol It's not my strength, fictional writing.

Digger said...

Oh the characters will speak to me, don't worry about that. That is, they will when I've decided who they are. And that's where I am at the moment...trying to decide who they are, and before that, what they're doing that makes a story worth telling.