Thursday, April 24, 2008

I could never be a project manager

I've known this for a long time of course, but it was brought home to me again today when my roofer called to check whether the scaffolders had been to take it down. No, they haven't. So off he went to chase them up. And there, right there, is the reason I don't make a very good project manager, and in a similar way, I would almost certainly make a lousy producer.

I totally and completely hate chasing people up to chivvy them along to do something they said they would, or that I asked them to, and haven't. In fact it took me years ("thirty years" probably ;o)) to realise that you needed to do that at all. Surely, I reasoned, if you'd asked someone to do something, especially if it was their JOB, they'd do it. And years of experience to the contrary were not sufficient to ram that message home: that you need to be on top of people, or across the situation, or whatever the latest term is, ALL the time to make sure it gets done, gets done right, and gets done on time.

Knowing that it's a necessary part of a job is still a mile away from doing it though, and I continue to avoid situations where I'd need to behave like this. Like most things, it's probably down to some childhood trauma. I certainly have a lifelong hatred of being told what to do and, even worse, reminded when it needs to be done by, which may well explain why I dislike doing the same thing to others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Project Manager. Or as I like to call it .... herding cats.

- Mrs. Penner

Digger said...

In my experience, women make wayyy better PMs than men. That's not to say I've never had a good male PM, but they're rare. It must be summat to do with nurturing, or knowing how to look after children (lol!) but women have ways of getting you to do the right thing when you need to, without bullying or nagging or making you feel three inches high. I'd choose to work for a woman over a man any day.