Thursday, December 18, 2008

Big ideas and grandiose plans

Yesterday's horoscope made me smile:
"Big ideas and grandiose plans come naturally to you, yet today's detail-oriented Virgo Moon requires you to place limits on yourself. No one else is going to do this for you; it has to come from within. Instead of looking out at every distant horizon and thinking you can go there, try concentrating on what's directly in front of you."

Haha. That's always been my problem. If I can be said to have *one* problem. Concentrating on what's in front of me. The task at hand. I'm a great starter. Not such a great finisher. When I was a kid, I'd lie on my back on the summer grass, staring up at the sky for hours, wondering where it went. What was out there? Every distant horizon has always held a dangerous fascination for me. They call it wanderlust, in all those many horoscopes I've read over the years, and they tell me it's a strong trait of Sagittarians. Tell me it's all bollocks. No, don't. You don't have to. But I do have it. That wanderlust. Sometimes.

Mainly when there's a mundane, tedious, mind-sapping task sat right in front of me requiring my concentration and with a rapidly approaching deadline. OK, OK, I'll do it. Fergawdsake. But I'd rather be out there. Staring at the sky.

3 comments:

Gloria Horsehound said...

Who wants to concentrate on what's in front of them when they can stare at the sky? And who wouldn't rather be up there than down here? And can you imagine how dull life is for people who stay upright? Of course you can. That's what makes you an artist. So go out and wander.

Anonymous said...

I'm currently concentrating on a large coffee that's right in front of me. It will be finished.

There's beauty and enchantment in the mundane and quotidian. It's just learning where to look.

Digger said...

I've learned a new word :o)