Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Emeralds are a boy's best friend

I gave blood yesterday. I was hoping to pick up one of those natty slate coasters that (as I found out after my last donation) they've started handing out to anyone who gives three times in one year. Sadly, they'd run out. They said they'd arrange to have one posted to me.

But in discussions over the obligatory post-bloodletting tea and biscuits I discovered the NHSBT have introduced a higher award. Still some years away for me - I'm still aiming for my gold pin for 50 donations - but until today I'd thought that would be it. The final goal. 50 and you're out (although I would have carried on giving until I couldn't climb up onto the table any longer).

No. They have a new award. Well... I'm not sure how new it is, but I didn't know about it. The Emerald Award. For 75 donations. An engraved glass plate - apparently - and an invitation to a gala dinner with other 75-pinters.

Part of me thinks that would be very nice, thank you. Recognition for a lifetime's support of the Blood Transfusion Service (as it used to be known). Another part of me thinks, hang on. To have given 75 times you're gonna have to be quite old. Why would I want to have dinner with a load of old people with whom the only thing I have in common is that we're blood donors? What are we going to talk about? Our best bruise? Our fastest donation? How the choice of biscuits is much better now than it was in 1977? And they'd be bound to serve black pudding.

It's at least nine years away for me, but already I'm thinking I'll probably give it a miss.

4 comments:

Blythe said...

Can you only give a certain number of times each year?

Digger said...

If you do nothing, they'll write to invite you to an appointment every 4 months.

Fit and healthy people can give more frequently than this - it only takes a couple of days to replace the blood that's taken - but you'd have to actively seek out the other donor sessions to go more often.

Don said...

Could be fun, although I get dizzy in those rocking chairs, and through "Animal Kingdom" people chat. That bothers me because they speak so loud I can't hear what the presenters are saying. People go on about those new televisions, but the older I get the worse they look. Can't quite figure that out.

Digger said...

LOL!
I went on the blood website yesterday and discovered they have a one-hundred donation award too. Don't even know if they gave it a name. A crystal decanter. For "red wine," presumably. Bwaahaahaaaaaa.