Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An ass among asses

It's often said that the law is an ass, and while we were at the Wildlife Park yesterday, we saw signs all over the place reminding us of that very fact.

No smoking in any part of the park, they said. Anyone wishing to smoke must leave the park. This is, I'm sure you'll appreciate, an OPEN AIR wildlife park. Sure, there are buildings. Restaurant, shop, animal houses, but these areas are outweighed many times over by the paths, walkways and open-air enclosures.

Now I've never been a smoker, and it's true that I've been known to rant against inconsiderate smokers in the past, but come on. This is taking persecution (and the letter of the law) a bit far. It seems they've classed the entire park as one huge "place of work" and banned smoking everywhere. So if you feel the craving, you have to step from one section of open-air path to another, through a small metal barrier.

I didn't see anything preventing the smoke blowing back across the barrier. I think they need another sign warning anyone standing in the vicinity of the barrier that they might be at risk.

1 comment:

Don said...

I'm going to be monitoring this one, John.
I quit smoking over a decade ago, and there's not a day I don't regret quitting sooner. So now you know how I feel about it.
I can no longer stand the smell of it. It makes me nauseous, short of breath, and sick. That's other peoples' smoke.
I could not for the life of me see myself ever going back to smoking tobacco, and wonder how I ever managed it for so long.
If anybody, a bar, a restaurant, library, open-air zoo, Anybody wants to declare themselves a smoke-free zone, then they should be able to.
Here, on Vancouver Island, the city of Victoria has done that in all public places. I don't think anyone has died because of it.
And I don't see any "Big Brother"ism in trying to eliminate an addiction to something that is so bad.