Friday, August 14, 2009

The Lull

Haven't been blogging much lately because tbh there hasn't been much to blog *about*. Ironic really, that I could be on the brink of a life-changing event, but until something happens on that front everything seems somehow quieter and flatter than usual.

Sure, I've had another couple of rejections arriving from the queries I sent out before #44, but as you might expect their pain is massively dulled by the knowledge that someone, somewhere in New York City, is reading my manuscript.

I've half expected a second request for a full or a partial to arrive on the heels of the first, which would be doubly ironic. The rules of querying would forbid me from sending it to anyone else while it is being considered by the first requester. For that very reason I've suspended sending out any more queries for the time being, although there are still 14 out there that I'm waiting to hear back from.

I have joined this place though. I came across it via the blog of one of my recent commenters (thanks Laurence!). I know received wisdom is that it's good to join a writers' group but doing this IRL never appealed to me overmuch. Writers as a breed are solitary folk sitting in garrets sharpening pencils and staring out of windows waiting for inspiration, or crouched over their keyboards with semi-maniacal stares illuminated only by the soft glow of a desk lamp and the reflections of their monitors in their wire-rimmed spectacles as they bash out another best-seller. They don't do groups. But they DO do virtual groups, so this could well be perfect.

2 comments:

laurence timms said...

I'll be honest and say that I'm not particularly groupy myself. The very idea of participating in an online writers forum gives me the cold shivers.

But the UKWriters thing works pretty well for me. I get all the latest activity piped through to Google Reader via the magic of RSS and if I spot something interesting I know I can pile in, shoot my mouth off and run away.

Don said...

Funny, that.
I have an interest in motorcycles, and many years ago a group of friends gathered on Sundays to go for a ride. I was never happy in that situation because when you're on different vehicles, you can't possibly negotiate the same traffic lights at the same time. The end result is going either faster than you would prefer to go, slower, justing dropping out altogether.
That was not necessarily a learning experience about motorcycling, but one of discovering myself.
I find now that (besides the habit of writing novels on other people's blogs) I can relate all that stuff to computers. I'm no longer afraid of going my own way. I have to get rid of the fanboy stuff yet, but I'm making good headway on that I think.