Thursday, December 17, 2009

The last curry of 2009

...and my fourth celebratory Christmas dinner... a curry with the Wilmslow crew. A much-reduced crew too, as one of them was busy working the lights at a local panto, and another had poked his eye out (not literally I hope!) when putting the Christmas tree up his fairy. I guess that would be enough to put you off a curry.

So for only the second time, we paid a visit to Ayo Gurkhali. My second time, I should say. The crew went without me once, after our first visit, and two of them had, how shall I put it, a bad intestinal experience. They haven't wanted to return since.

Going back was my idea - I'd really enjoyed the food on that first visit, and I reckoned their gastric upset was either a coincidence or a case of a one-off bad bunch of prawns or something. If we all go down with Montezuma's Revenge I'll be persona non grata for a while!

As always, and even though there were only four of us, it was great to catch up over a couple of pints and a nice meal. The curry easily equalled the quality of last time, and the amazing variety of originally-shaped white porcelain serving dishes still provided a feast for the eyes even as their contents were supplying a feast for the mouth. Adding the final professional touch to the whole experience, the waiters are the very model of polite and friendly service, without being pushy or obsequious.

They do a take-away menu there too. Sadly, I think Wilmslow would be a bit too far removed from home base for them to deliver.

No comments: