Friday, December 25, 2009

Year end meme

Snagged, as most of these things are (on my blog at least!) from Diane, this is probably the last chance I could have to answer some of the more Christmassy questions in this meme, and what better way to spend the last few moments of Christmas Morning before popping down to open our presents? :D

1. Was 2009 a good year for you?
It brought a lot of disappointment, and on the work front much stress, worry and confrontation which isn't over yet, but there were high points too. Not a "good" year, as such, and I'll be glad to see the back of it, but let's just say it could have been worse. We're still employed, healthy, and together which are the most important things (not necessarily in that order lol).

2. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Went on strike (and stood on the picket line). Wrote a radio play.

3. What was your favourite moment of the year?
The moment I learned a New York agent had requested my full manuscript.

4. What was your least favourite moment of the year?
The moment I learned the New York agent didn't want to pursue my full manuscript.

5. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make them.

6. What are your plans for 2010?
Trip to the Lakes in May, decorate our bedroom, write more!

7. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A cousin's son had a baby boy at the beginning of November. Several of the book club girls gave birth, although I'm not sure they qualify as "close" ;o)

8. Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle (and the last surviving of my Dad's brothers) died last month.

9. How many weddings did you go to?
None.

10. What countries did you visit?
Umm... Wales?

11. What date in 2009 will remain etched in your memory?
The day I learned Shiny Media had filed for bankruptcy.

12. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making the long list for the Alfred Bradley Bursary Award.

13. What was your biggest failure?
You've only failed when you give up trying. I haven't given up trying.

14. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
A few coughs and wheezes. Nothing serious.

15. What was the best thing you bought?
The biUbe aquarium for Nikki's main Christmas present.

16. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Friends and family have all had successes to celebrate during the year in some way.

17. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Our CEO. All our politicians, with their dodgy expenses. All world leaders, with their pathetic show at Copenhagen. Any Americans who voted against universal health care plans. Various groups of terrorists.

18. Where did most of your money go?
I wish I knew!

19. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
That request for a full. I literally jumped up and down.

20. What songs will always remind you of 2009?
Spin Doctor. The second song to be recorded for our second album - Weird & Wonderful - which will be released next year. It's about corrupt politicians and it sums up the year for me (even though it was written some time ago).

21. Compared to this time last year are you:
a) Fatter or thinner? Almost exactly the same
b) Happier or sadder? Probably the same there too.
c) Richer or poorer? I feel poorer, but I don't really know why!

22. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing!

23. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Playing Spider Solitaire

24. How will you be spending Christmas?
Eating, drinking and being merry at home with Nikki, and friends, and (close) family.

25. Which LJ users did you meet for the first time?
Ah. An LJ-specific question. Let's assume it means "which online friends..." and the answer is, this year, none.

26. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I fall in love with Nikki all over again every day :o)

27. What was your favourite month of 2009?
May, definitely. The month we bought the bird feeder for the garden, did a lot of work to tidy the garden up, Natalie came to stay for several weeks' study leave, we endured - I mean enjoyed - Annie's birthday camping weekend near Buxton, went on the Gannet & Puffin cruise and to see the new Star Trek movie.

28. How did you see in the New Year?
Stayed in Chesterfield with mates and had a fantastic night playing daft games, exchanging secret Santa presents and watching indoor fireworks. Oh, and drinking.

29. What was your favourite TV show?
Really enjoyed Spooks this year (shown in North America as "MI5" I believe, owing to the negative racial connotation of the word 'spooks' over there).

30. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone.

31. What was/were the best books you read?
The Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson. First in the final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (to be a quadrilogy, apparently), always one of my most favourite series it was a delightful revelation to discover he'd picked up the story again.

32. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not a new discovery, but I REdiscovered my love for Pink Floyd. I'd quite literally forgotten how good they were/are. Listened to their stuff a lot lately. King Crimson too, as it happens. Maybe it's been a year for musical nostalgia.

33. What did you want and get?
Can't think of anything that I wanted really badly apart from a writing contract, and that comes under...

34. What did you want and not get?
A writing contract.

35. What was your favourite film this year?
Watchmen. Visually stunning.

36. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Well, not actually ON my birthday, but shortly before, Nikki treated me to a spa day at a nearby hotel complex. It were fab. I don't think I've ever been so relaxed. This year wasn't a milestone of any kind. Unless 53 has some special meaning somewhere in the world. Comments from numerologists welcome!

37. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
Persuading that New York agent that my novel really is the one they've been looking for.

38. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

39. What kept you sane?
The people close to me. Jointly and severally, they're wonderful.

40. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Er... Cheryl Cole. Sorry.

41. Which political issue stirred you the most?
The expenses scandal. I could spit vitriol about that for hours. Not only the fact of it, but their entire ATTITUDE to it.

42. Who did you miss?
Anyone who's not here. Duh.

43. Did you treat somebody badly in 2009
Probably didn't see as much of my Mum as I should.

44. Did somebody treat you badly in 2009?
Well there was that guy who cut me up on the M60...

45. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year?
Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Play Spider Solitaire instead (q.v.).

46. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn't have in 2009?
Sorry to, you know, repeat myself, but a writing contract would be nice.

47. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year...
Too many. And it's present opening time, so I must dash!

3 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Merry Christmas.
Portugal

Don said...

Can't believe we have so much in common.
I think I still have "Court of the Crimson King" on vinyl somewhere.
Pink Floyd is probably one of my all-time favourite bands, although "Ummagumma" used to freak me out (especially if I was using anything illegal).
And I thought I was one of only a handful of people who followed Stephen Donaldson's series involving Thomas Covenant (unbeliever).
I started at "Lord Foul's Bane", and when the trilogy was done, hungering for more, I went to "The One Tree", and then "A Man Rides Through" and "The Mirror of Her Dreams", none of which held a candle to the original story, in my humble opinion.

Digger said...

Hey Don - *I* still have it on vinyl too! I've been meaning for years to dig my vinyls out and put them on eBay or something. I don't have anything to play them on now.

Yeah, I agree, Donaldson's other stuff (i.e. not in the Land) doesn't quite measure up to any of the Chronicles, and of the original six The One Tree is definitely the one that drags the worst although the other two in the second trilogy - The Wounded Land and White Gold Wielder - held up pretty well I thought. So anyway if you love that stuff and you want to recapture that feeling of breathless anticipation, rush out and buy the first two instalments of his latest and last Covenant story. Part 3 is due out this year according to Wikipedia, with the fourth and last part currently slated for 2013.