Saturday, January 30, 2010

Doodle Do

Breakfast table conversations can have the strangest consequences. A couple of weeks ago we were discussing the old DoodleArt posters of the 70s and 80s, and how I used to have one tacked up on the wall of my flat. I spent many a happy evening totally focussed on colouring in my alien landscape in those simple days.

Cue Nikki's razor-sharp Internet search skills, and the uncovering of the wonderful world of Wildergorn. I was enthused! I ordered three posters. One (Watergorn - of which this is a small detail) for myself and one each for the girls.

I couldn't find their recommended pens for colouring - Stabilo 68 fibre tips - at anything like a decent discount from any online retailer, so I bid on a full set from eBay and won, at a saving of almost fifteen quid.

Once all the breakfasting and household chores were out of the way today, I rolled the 27" x 40" poster out on the dining table and set to. Pretty soon I was just as immersed in the detailed world of harpies, water and stone as I had been all those years ago on Planet Zog. A perfect way to relax on a drab winter Saturday, when there's no colour at all in the world outside, but 40 vibrant colours to choose from in my little tin box.

4 comments:

Don said...

I understand your interest in Stephen Donaldson.

Tvor said...

Oooh i would have loved something like that!!! i am a massive doodler, always have been and i still can't sit in a meeting without a pen in hand. I always loved to colour too.

Eliane Veronezzi Ms. said...

Hello I am from Brazil and a big fan of The Original DoodleArt and Wildergorn posters. I have already colored a lot of them. I would like to see how you colored yours.
Best regards, Eliane

Digger said...

Hi Eliane! To tell the truth there hasn't been much progress on my Wildergorn poster in recent months. I've been busy with other things. But I could dig it out and post a "progress" photo. That might even be the prod I need to get going with it again - I was enjoying it immensely until I got sidetracked!