Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vinyl

I got hooked into a Facebook meme yesterday about "music that changed your life" and once I'd started thinking about my old vinyl collection, I was reminded of my long-standing intention to dig out the box of albums and make a note of the ones I want to replace.

I've already retrieved some of the more obvious ones - Genesis, King Crimson, etc - but I knew in among the relatively modest collection (I'd acquired 85 albums by the time I abandoned vinyl in favour of CDs) were some more obscure works that I would love to hear again. I also recognised the virtual certainty that there'd be some in that box I'd even forgotten I owned in the first place.

I wasn't wrong.

On the flip side, I have a distinct memory of owning some albums - at least two by Emerson, Lake & Palmer for instance - that appear to be missing from the pile. I wonder where they went? I dabbled briefly in car boot sales in the mid-80s and must assume, although I have no clear recollection, that I ditched a few from the collection that were out of favour at the time.

Still, I thought it might be interesting to start an occasional series of posts covering (what remains of) my vinyl collection, my memories of the albums and where they currently sit in my head in terms of wanting to replace them. Or not.

1 comment:

Don said...

In my youth, I lived in houses with lots of different people. Records came and went. I too lost a bunch, and I have some now that I don't know where they came from. So you win a few, and you lose a few. Ah well, we have our memories.