Monday, June 14, 2010

Earlier this month

I lost a spreadsheet today.

I've been keeping track of the artists selected to Storm the Charts at the end of this month and having had an Excel blitz at the end of last week it had dropped off my MRU list. No problem obviously, I'll just open up the folder where I keep all my spreadsheets...

Oh.

Ah! Must've saved it in my "reference" folder.

Um...

OK, how about the folder where I keep everything to do with StC (not to mention the Weird & Wonderful files)?

Nope.

OK, well there's still nowt to worry about (right?) because I've got the good ol' Windows Search facility. Now I *know* I edited this file last week to add the four artists that were chosen last Sunday, so what kind of date filter do I need? Ah yes, here's a handy-dandy one called "files that were edited earlier this month" and I *know* it'll be on my data drive somewhere, so I'll just search the whole damn drive for anything that's been edited "earlier this month."

Er... Shit. Where is it? Not there, apparently. Which is mad, because I know it's there. It was there last week. Everything else is there. Why isn't this there? It has to be there.

So hang on, cos I haven't used Windows Search ON WINDOWS 7 before. And it looks like there's this cool date widget that I can drag across and select "anything that's changed between June 1 and June 14"

Holy Crap!! That's about ten times more files than my first search found! And... yes! There's my spreadsheet! (breathe small sigh of relief). Last edited on... Monday morning.

OK I have to ask. In what dark festering corner of the entire universe is "earlier this month" NOT THE SAME THING as "between June 1 and June 14" ???

3 comments:

Blythe said...

The awful Windows Search corner. :D

Wes Viola said...

John it's lovely to know there are people out there as obsessive about this project as I am! : D

Good luck to you in this last week.

Wes

Don said...

Glad you found it, John.

Couldn't have helped you with Win7.