Friday, June 18, 2010

Yours for only £12.99

Along with most of the (Internet enabled) planet, I'm guessing, I get spammed regularly by Universal Online Retailers Inc. (aka Play.com, Amazon, etc) with offers of stuff their "clever" algorithms have decided I'll be interested in.

I say spammed, but I'll admit in this case it's partly my own fault for, you know, shopping there. I do take exception to the notion that if you've ever, even once, bought a vampire movie then you're bound to be interested in every other vampire, near-vampire, or teen-vampire movie, or anything with characters similar to "vamp" or "pire" in the title, genre, plot description, crew or cast.

Partly because I'm lazy, partly because it's easier to just delete them, and partly because I'm an eternal optimist who believes that in among the dross will one day sparkle an irresistible gem, I remain subscribed to these emails and occasionally, when the morning crop is a bit thin on the ground in the Inbox, I read one.

Today was one such day. And what I saw was more frightening than the goriest schlock horror film ever produced.

A 3-disc boxed set of... the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest.

I mean, come on. It's bad enough watching the crap the first time through. Who the hell would PAY to watch it again? To be able to watch it again whenever they want? Weird.

No comments: