Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Stop worrying

The "Quote of the Day" widget on my Google homepage regularly gives me a smile. Occasionally a laugh. All too rarely it delivers something so appropriate, so timely, all I can do is listen to the sound of my jaw dropping while I sit immobilised at the keyboard.

Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student.
-George Iles

So I'll stop worrying that I'm 53 years old and I still live in a house where half the rooms (including our bedroom) have no carpet. Where half-completed construction projects shed their dust (it's a SIN!) over the entire house. Where my tools litter the study floor alongside the disassembled pieces of that rim latch I was saving for when I repair the door on the spare room. Where the attic is stuffed with things of almost no perceptible value, which I can't bring myself to chuck out in case someone will offer me a few measly quid for them on eBay.

Assuming I ever got around to listing them there.

It used to scare me - a little - how much this house resembles the digs I had as a student. It's even in the same road (albeit the nicer end, I tell myself). But, you know, it's a home. I like it. Love it, actually. And it does get better, slowly. Or "at my own pace" as I prefer to put it.

It's a place where there's always time for a laugh, or a cup of tea. Time for a leisurely breakfast, a game of Buzz, or a movie. And where I never need to feel pressured to DO anything, or guilty that I haven't.

Yeah. In the words of a popular icon from my youth: "What, me worry?"

3 comments:

Don said...

And Nikki's there.

Karen and Jack and I live in this house that's full of junk. I know I have to reduce the amount of it.
Know anybody who would like to buy a Commodore 64 complete with monitor and 1541 disk drive? How about an Atari MegaSTE4? Everything included. Monitor, mouse, everything.

We do collect this stuff, but it's more important who we share it with I think. I have Karen and Jack.

Some day I'll have to get rid of most of it.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Good post Dig.

My bungalow is the same, been here for God knows how many years and still have half finished 'projects' littering the joint.

The good thing is I can live with mess, falling ceilings and a garden half-pebbled and stocked with weeds.

Neatness scares the hell out of me.

Rachel said...

DUST! (I laughed far too much at that point.)

So true though, a home's a home regardless what it's like, so long as happy times are had inside it. :)

I will return to lurking and not commenting about this place, now. ^^