Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wake up, time to die

The line, for those who don't recognise it (are there any? lol) is from my favourite movie: Blade Runner.

It's posted in honour of my dear old Fujitsu-Siemens PC, which I've had since December 2004 and which didn't wake up this morning. Since I've used it pretty much every day, apart from holidays spent away from home, in almost seven years, its "not waking up" had happened before.

Usually it means a crash has occurred overnight for some reason, prior to the sleep kicking in. This time a warm reboot didn't fix the problem, and neither did a cold reboot, which is usually enough to clear down any hardware registers that have got their knickers in a knot. No, this was more than just a "not waking up." This was the Big Sleep.

Fingers crossed it's just something like the video card, and not a hard disk crash and the loss of all that lovely data. That lovely, unbacked up, data. Who'd have thought I'm a 33-year computer industry veteran who doesn't back up? There must be thousands of us.

4 comments:

Blythe said...

I don't think you ever told me why it's your favourite film.

Digger said...

No, I don't think I did.

Tvor said...

I like Blade Runner, too. I must pop the dvd in again for another watch.

Poor puter... Mine may be that old but 2 or 3 years ago, i had a new motherboard and processor and power supply put in so mostly, it's new inside. I have a second hard drive in there and i have an external so i do back up data to the external. Probably not as often as i should so maybe i'll just do that tonight :)

Digger said...

I'd moved all my pics to my second, newer, 1TB hard drive, but even so I don't have a backup of that. I'll be sorting out an external backup disk sooner rather than later!