Sunday, September 02, 2007

Good Morning Voldemort!

Listening to Radio 2 this afternoon while painting the study (what else? I'm on the last window! Yippee!) and Elaine Page's show came on. I say that rather glibly but the truth is I never listen to Radio 2 on a Sunday afternoon, so I wasn't aware until today that she had a show. Well, she does. Has done for three years apparently! She plays, not surprisingly, hits from the Broadway and West End musicals, and also from the big musical movies.

Concentrating on my painting, I wasn't really listening to her intros and as we all know, strange things happen to me when I'm not paying attention to sounds in my vicinity. It was with some surprise that I suddenly became aware of a woman's voice belting out the chorus to her number: "Good Morning Voldemort!" she shouted.

"Blimey!" I thought in utter amazement, "that was quick! I didn't even realise they'd written a Harry Potter musical. They've only just got round to doing Lord of the Rings!"

Then reality caught up with me and I started to engage my brain. This can't be a Harry Potter musical - I must have misheard. Sure enough the chorus came around for a second time...

"Good Morning Baltimore!"

(From the movie Hairspray, apparently).

1 comment:

Tvor said...

LOL i can see where you'd hear Voldemort from Baltimore if you weren't really listening. Misheard lyrics crack me up. My sister thought the old J. Geils song "Freezeframe" was "Greaseface" :)