Tuesday, February 03, 2009

No snow!

And there it was: gone! After listening to the 10 o'clock forecast warning that another two or three inches were expected (that'll be a disappointment for someone) and that some areas could have up to a foot (way too much of a good thing - someone else would be choking on it), what did we have?

A huge melt. There's nothing left.

Which, if repeated across the whole of the UK in these credit-crunchy times would be A Good Thing. At least, if yesterday's news is anything to go by. 6 million people failing to get to work, £1.2 billion lost to the crumbling economy, roads closed or impassable, trains, planes and buses cancelled, people full of the great British spirit battling their way to their local train station only to find that's as far as they're going to get. We wouldn't have won the war if we'd had this namby-pamby attitude back then, I tell you! Cough! Splutter!

Sorry. Got a bit carried away there. Still, it is faintly ridiculous isn't it? It's not like snow in February is exactly unexpected. It was even forecast. I heard Ken Livingstone on the news (mind you, he'll say anything to beat the drum won't he? Still smarting from having to hand over to Boris I expect) blaming the worst of the travel problems on councils who didn't want to send the gritters out on Sunday and pay overtime. What a load of bollocks. I was out and about on Sunday night and followed several gritters all over the North-west.

I tried to work out, in my usual geeky way, what proportion of the UK workforce 6 million came to. There's about 65 million of us altogether. If you assume a linear distribution of ages from 0 to 80 (I know that's not right, but for the sake of argument...) that makes 34 million of working age (over 18 and under 60), of which there's about 2 million unemployed (32) and an unknown number who don't work, or try to, at all. But even if you leave the figure at 32 million that's one-fifth of the entire workforce couldn't get to work! Crikey.

Rather madly I'd decided to stick to my usual routine and go in to the office yesterday. I could have worked at home, but as it turned out (and not surprisingly) a much larger than normal number of my colleagues had elected to do that, and overloaded the corporate VPN shortly before 9am, so I wouldn't have been able to get much done anyway. I really needed some light relief while negotiating the roads into the office, and it was duly provided by Radio 4, where they read out an email from a listener pointing out that we were now suffering the 21st-century equivalent of traffic chaos as well as the more traditional sort.

Yes, not only were the roads blocked and the public transport cancelled all over the place, but the traffic and travel WEBSITES were all crashing too, under the load of people trying to find out whether they should set out or not. What irony! What symmetry! The British do farce SO well.

3 comments:

Blythe said...

Bloody snow.


That's all I can really say, except I could elaborate.

Did you stay at home yesterday? I did =| and it was boring by 2. The novelty wore off. And the fact that I'd have to stay in today made it even worse; two snow days are no fun at all, especially when you're told you can't go and see your friends or really go outside much because "its too cold."

So, I don't know. =| Snow is never a good thing. But aren't we glad we set out early on Sunday :D

We have icicles x)

Digger said...

I went into the office in the morning, but came home after lunch when everyone started talking about the expected blizzard and how choked the roads were gonna be.

And yes, we are glad about Sunday. Even the few minutes turnaround in the village made it a bit trickier over the top :-\

I remember those icicles. I've got a photo somewhere...

Gloria Horsehound said...

The way the weather people rattled on I imagined we were all goners! I mean it IS February after all, whaddya expect? A heatwave? We're turning into a nation of panic stricken wimps who collapse at the sight of a snowflake. Bah Humbug!
Thank you very much I've had my say.