Monday, February 02, 2009

Snow!

Like, I suspect, much of the country we woke this morning to a snowy scene. This is the 6am version. It has become quite unusual for Manchester in recent years and probably won't stick around for long. It'll be chaos on the roads while it lasts though. The slightest hint of snow on roads and pavements means all the nervous and semi-competent drivers will slow right down making things extremely frustrating and delay-prone for the rest of us. Never mind that the gritters were out in force last night and most major roads will be frost-free; it'll be 10mph all the way this morning. Bet on it.

The snow also gave rise to another feeling for us this morning: satisfaction. Because we did, in the end, pull out our collective fingers and spend a little time in the garden, taking advantage of the two crisp, clear, sunny days that we've just had. The fern count reduced by two. No point in rushing things, these are big buggers we're talking about, and any extended period of digging wakes my back up to the fact that it doesn't do spade work and what am I doing forcing it to take part in such activities and if I don't stop soon it'll go TWANG and that'll show me. So I took it steady. One fern on Saturday, and one on Sunday. Plus a bit of a haircut for the remaining three, so that I can see what I'm doing when I take my fork and my spade to the next one.

Only at the moment, I can't see what I'm doing because they're under two inches of snow. Which my back is very pleased about.

2 comments:

Don said...

We got that a few weeks back, John. By the time it ended we had about three feet of snow. Every time we tried to get a vehicle out of the driveway, we had to shovel. It was a mess, and very unusual for Canada's southwest coast. The snow was very heavy as well, and did in the roof of my garden shed. I guess I'll have to add that to the list of things I have to do when the weather gets better.

Tvor said...

What i hate is when we get inches of snow and then freezing rain over top of it like yesterday!