Saturday, September 05, 2009

Twitterati

Sorry, I'm still thinking about this bloody Twitter thing.

It's like a few guys thought "hey, let's think up the most seriously messed up Internet thing. You know, something that's really stupid and off the wall, and then we can pretend it's like the coolest thing ever."
"Yeah! We can get all our mates on it, and they'll get all their mates and pretty soon it'll go viral and all the sheeple will join in cos they'll be scared shitless that they're gonna miss out on something."
"Right!"

Actually the Twitter page on Wikipedia makes really interesting reading. Some serious up-front investment with very little money made so far, but "revenue projections" into the billions. Makes me laugh. They assume it'll keep growing at the same rate - or faster - that it has done so far. Totally failing to grok that the sheeple they rely on can be distracted to "the Next Big Thing" just as easily as they were to Twitter in the first place. And the fact that the mainstream media has caught on to it - witness Burns and Humphreys starting to Twitter as I mentioned yesterday - could well be the kiss of death for their target demographic. We're already hearing "I'm SO over Twitter." Once it loses that cool cachet, it has nowhere to go.

2 comments:

Tvor said...

I already have Facebook, why do i need Twitter? And Facebook on its own is annoying a lot of the time too. At least with FB,you can post pictures and videos to share. It's enough for me. I really think it's called "Twitter" for a very good reason ;)

Don said...

I asked Jack just the other day if he "tweeted". He knew exactly what I meant, and said he thought it was stupid. I asked him if he was still a fan of Facebook, and it seems he's going off of that too.
I've been using Google's Picasa for sharing photos, and I like it. Apparently you can now use it for videos as well.