Friday, September 11, 2009

Your call is really important to us

Those people who record the well-meaning messages that regularly interrupt the music on IVR systems. Do they realise how counterproductive they are?

All our operators are still busy.
Your call is really important to us.
Please continue to hold and someone will be with you shortly.

Sounds so friendly and comforting the first time you hear it, doesn't it? You're REALLY important to them and they're so sorry you have to be kept waiting, but hang in there. It won't be long now!

By the tenth time you're ready to wring the stupid bitch's neck. If I was so sodding important to you, you wouldn't have kept me waiting fifteen minutes, and that bit about "shortly" is clearly a total lie. Why don't you STFU and answer the call, damn you?

I know how helpdesks work. I know that the usual reason they want you to keep holding is they have targets about minimising the number of lost calls. People who phone and refuse to be kept waiting. They just hang up and try again. Or, worse, hang up and don't try again. I know that whoever answers the call, finally, knows how long you've been waiting. So, armed with that damning statistic, do you think they apologise for the wait? No...

>click<
Hello-this-is-Simon-do-you-have-an-account-number?

I can't help myself. I sink to their level. I recite the account number in a bored monotone. I attempt no normal human interaction. Simon's frustration with his job has communicated itself to me and been converted in real time into my frustration with him and his organisation. Want to change that? Don't keep interrupting your music with messages of false hope and meaningless overblown declarations of my importance to you.

4 comments:

Blythe said...

Your call is really important to me ;___; <3

Don said...

I like the ones that ask you to input your account number, password, etc. on the keypad, then put you on endless hold. Then when finally a human answers, they ask you for the same information!

Digger said...

But Blythe: you're not a faceless organisation. You're FAMERLEEE ^__^

And Don: Yes I've had them too. The excuse is "oh, our system isn't integrated with the telephone system." So why ASK???

Tvor said...

Oh Don, Digger, i was just going to say that. I hate it! What's the frigging point? trying to make sure you are who they say you are? I have had some call centre people apologize for the wait but usually, no they don't.