Friday, October 09, 2009

The pipes, the pipes

It's been a while since I related how we're getting on with album #2 - Weird and Wonderful - although progress continues to be reported over at our other home. I say progress, but it's been a bit sporadic of late, what with one thing and another.

As predicted, we only managed one recording session last month, but we started well this month - on Wednesday - both in terms of it being the first Wednesday in October and in respect of the quality of the singing. By far my best number so far, the performance was helped firstly by the song being right in the middle of my range, and secondly by taking a few minutes out to do some crazy warm-up exercises that Annie passed on from her experiences at drama school. I wish I could let you hear the difference between the first take of the first verse (pre-warm-up) and the second take (post-warm-up). It actually sounds like a different person is singing, and the added depth to the sound really took me completely by surprise, as well as it being a whole lot easier to deliver.

Well hey - athletes warm up their muscles, right? I know at least one reader who'll be slightly exasperated (a) at my surprise and (b) that I wasn't warming up before. What can I say? Sometimes you just have to learn the lessons for yourself!

No comments: