Friday, October 30, 2009

Where was I?

Got back from a week in the Lakes this evening. A glorious, happy, mild, almost-rain-free, fun, exhausting, exhilarating 7 days spent in the company of fabulous friends, food, frolics and frippery.

We went last year, of course, but that was in May (and I never did write it up. Tut!). Don't s'pose I'll write this one up either, being the lazy sod I am, but we have the memories. And the photos. They're up on Picasa, if you're interested. We've decided we're going to pick one and have it printed on canvas to hang somewhere in the house as a permanent reminder of the funtimes. Well, you have to, don't you? I do. I absolutely do.

7 comments:

Don said...

Wonderful pictures, John. I'm amazed that a relatively crowded country can still have such beautiful open spaces.
It's so different from here. We have more trees (so far), and, as far as I know, no "foopaths". I could be wrong though.
Nikki looks radiant. Where are the pictures of you?

Digger said...

Two clever retorts come to mind:
1. In other people's cameras.
or
2. I'm too big to fit in the frame.

#1 is definitely true, and some of them are in other Picasa albums.

Don said...

Send me a link if you like.
I like photos.

Unknown said...

The pictures are beautiful. I don't know how you are going to pick just one.

Don said...

I just came back here after a few days and it seems like there a whole lot more photos. John, you have an eye! I really enjoyed the pictures. You look really happy.
I like the picture of the lower halves of some people with their reflections showing in the water, and, well, pretty nearly all the rest. Do you still use your Canon? Beautiful results.
I'll have to show Karen your Picasa link.

Digger said...

Crikey no - I haven't used my Canon since... Fuerteventura 2002. I'm 100% digital now, and I couldn't be more pleased with my Lumix FZ20. I think the results speak for themselves. Don't forget Nikki's pix are mixed up with mine and if anything, she has an even better eye than me. Not only for composition but also for the quirky. She uses an IXUS 700.

Don said...

You're right. The camera is just a tool to portray what the user is seeing. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and the ability to frame is so important.
To this day, I can't use the camera back as a viewfinder. Any camera I buy must have a proper viewfinder. I can put my eye to the viewfinder, brace my arms against my body for stability, and shoot just like my old 35mm. The Fuji I have even has a big lens I can support with my left hand ready to turn the focus ring which is not possible.
Comforting I suppose.