Monday, March 22, 2010

Spooky Facebook is watching

Arriving at my puter this morning, cup of steaming Java in hand, I was intrigued by one of the suggested names at the top right-hand corner of my Facebook homepage.

Facebook users will be familiar with this part of the page, where seemingly random but occasionally appropriate people are suggested as friends. It's usually people who are already friends with your other friends, or belong to similar groups, which normally accounts for the random ones (Facebook can choose any of the thousands of people who give "Manchester" as their location, of which I only know a few dozen at most).

But this was different. A guy with a name so unusual that I have only ever met one other person with the same name, and that was the bloke who used to run the karaoke and other entertainment evenings and daily poolside events at our favourite Greek island resort on Rhodes. I never knew his last name. He was universally known by his adopted first name. The unusual one. So I followed the guy's link to see if I could find out more about who it was.

And...

It IS the bloke who used to run the karaoke at our favourite Greek island resort on Rhodes!!

How spooky is that? We haven't even been there since 2005, and as far as I can tell there is no connection that Facebook could possibly have known about to come up with him as a suggested friend. He only has two other friends so clearly hasn't been on it long. Just weird.

1 comment:

Schnappi said...

That is really weird! Much better than Facebook telling me to reconnect with Daniel Douglas Mander who... is no longer with us :S