Monday, August 16, 2010

Beware the painted hair

Had the new radiator fitted in the bedroom today - one large double to replace the three smaller singles that were connected in series beneath each of the bay windows. A positive side-effect of this is that I can now get to those final small sections of skirting board that were previously hampered by the old pipework.

Whoever installed the heating in this house originally had some funny ideas about plumbing. Like running the pipes as close as humanly possible to the skirting board, which meant when it came time to fit thermostatic radiator valves they had to chisel out part of the plaster to make room for them! And that there was no room behind the pipes to get to the boards for painting.

With the new rad sitting proudly beneath the central window and the old pipes removed, around nine inches of skirting board on each side needed sanding down, undercoating and glossing, and that small area of wall required a spot of filler and some Gentle touching up :o)

While I was on my knees with the undercoat, I noticed a paintbrush bristle painted into the wall. I usually spot these and pick them off while the paint is going on, but this was close to the top of the skirting boards and had escaped my attention. Since one end had dried sticking up it was easy to slip a nail under it and remove the offender.

Or so I thought.

The paint-hardened bristle had achieved unexpected strength, and stabbed me under the fingernail, drawing blood. Ow! Next time I'll be using a blade!

No comments: