Friday, August 20, 2010

Vinyl: For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night

Artist: Caravan
Owned on digital media: No
Want to replace: Yes

After four albums, all of which by this time I had in my hot, sweaty hands, Caravan's line-up changed. Bassist Richard Sinclair left to be replaced by John G. Perry, and perhaps more significantly from my point of view - because initially I hated the effect his viola had on the music - Geoffrey Richardson joined from Spirogyra.

My reaction to the new boy meant that it took me longer than most to reach the conclusion, shared by many of Caravan's long-term fans as well as those who discovered them later, that 'Girls' is the band's finest hour, even if it never quite displaced my first love (Grey and Pink - still to come in these reviews) in my Caravanny affections. Sad to say it is also notable as being their last really great album, for while they continue as a band to this day, everything that came after failed in some respect to measure up to it. There were a few moments of magic and intervals of inspiration, but mostly... not.

No comments: